I’m sure most people already know this, but when I discovered this method of making super easy, customizable, cheap popcorn on Instructables I was amazed.
What you need:
- brown paper lunch bag
- 1/4 cup of popping corn
- flavor (butter and salt for unoriginal traditionalists)
- Pour 1/4 cup kernels into brown lunch bag
- Fold and crease the top down twice (about 1/4″ each time)
- Lay on its side in the microwave with the folds facing up
- Microwave until popping starts to slow down (about 1.5 minutes in my microwave)
- Drizzle with melted butter and crushed sea salt [though I bet it would be very worth it to try out some interesting toppings!]
- So easy, even writing the simple directions was more difficult.
- Waaaaaay cheaper. A bag of Jolly Time kernels is something like $2 or less which lasts forever. (Forever = at least 16 big bowls.)
- Nicer to mother earth since the packaging on store-bought microwave popcorn is insane. (Though, honestly cooking it the old fashioned way on the stove is probably the best way to go, environmentally.)
- Healthier. Well, it could be healthier depending on your personal level of weakness for yummy, yummy butter. The people on Instructables suggest using olive oil, and I’m sure even if you drizzle yours with real butter it is better than the neon-yellow stuff that your co-workers like to burn in the office kitchen.
- Tastier! So amazing.
- I eat the whole bowl by myself.
If anyone comes up with tasty topping ideas, let me know! You will be thanked for supporting my addiction.